The Mainframe is dead – long live the Mainframe
The new generation IBM mainframes continue to provide unequaled availability, reliability and security, three fundamental ingredients that explain why 96 of the world’s top 100 banks, 23 of the top 25 US retailers and 9 of the world’s 10 largest insurance companies rely on them. Did you know that IBM sells mainframes to cloud service providers, who focus on delivering large scale Linux environments?
Now that we’ve caught your attention, you should also know that BMC Software has just completed the largest acquisition in its history – the purchase of Compuware, a leading provider of mainframe application development, delivery, and performance solutions – to strengthen its Automated Mainframe Intelligence (AMI) portfolio, to further modernize the mainframe industry. The purchase of Compuware comes at the heels of the March acquisition of RSM Partners, a global provider of mainframe services with a focus on mainframe security. The actions taken by BMC Software are clear signals that they believe that they will continue to reap benefits from the strategic nature of mainframes in the digital transformation road map for many important customers.
One year ago, Fusion welcomed its first mainframe customer – a large financial infrastructure provider in Denmark – with COaaS service (Capacity Optimisation as a Service). They also became our first production customer on our Ignite AWS environment.
Last month, we announced Capacity-Optimization-in-a-Box, a simplified set of solutions that includes term licenses and managed services delivered in a SaaS model for easy consumption. The offerings are delivered by Fusion from our AWS cloud-hosted environment that includes BMC AMI Capacity Management and BMC Cost Analyzer for zEnterprise.
What is Capacity-Optimization-in-a-Box?
A simple way to get started:
- Capacity-Optimization-in-a-Box is a simplified set of offerings delivered in a SaaS model for easy consumption
- The offerings go from the simple “BASE” to the more complete “PREMIUM” as more licensed components and service capabilities are made available
- The offerings are delivered from a secured AWS cloud-hosted environment where all the necessary components are already installed, configured and maintained using BMC’s best-practices
What this may mean for you:
- Managed service to address shortages in skills or people
- SaaS offering to eliminate the need to spend time and energy hosting and administering the products
- Establish a process to address the management of applications across the enterprise (mainframe, distributed and cloud)
- Simplified packaged offering and entry-level pricing to get started and get value quickly
- Explore with confidence the opportunities in capacity and cost optimization
Long live the Mainframe!!!
Want to hear more about the principles of capacity optimization?
Watch the on demand webinar Controlling Costs and Mitigating Risks in Uncertain Times hier
and listen to a Capacity Manager at a large financial institution in the Nordics giving us his view of why more than ever, it is an essential discipline if we are to reduce risk while controlling costs.
Erfahren Sie mehr:
More Capacity News: Where is my Crystal Ball when I need it?